Klez did a lot of nasty stuff, but I don't believe it had a data-access
component.

That being said, yes it IS possible for a virus to effect the iSeries.
Before I get flamed here, I didn't say INfect the iSeries, (although I think
that's possible to) I said EFFECT.

Imagine a virus (or trojan or worm etc) that did the following:

For each data source in ODBC
        Connect to data source
                for each file in systables
                        add blank rows to table
                next
        disconnect
Next

Such a "virus" running on a PC would have a disastrous effect on the
iSeries. If you want a worse case remove "add blank rows to table" and
replace with "for each numeric field multiply by .9" and see how long it
takes to find that data corruption.

Having said that I'm not aware of (and a quick search of SARC didn't find
any) viruses that currently do what I'm suggesting, but it is possible.

However, I think it's much more likely that someone did something wrong on
the iSeries. Also, don't you have a unique key on that file? Wouldn't the
second blank record have violated the unique key constraint?

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software