Jeff,

That is the penalty you get for leaving programs activated (i.e.
returning without setting on LR) with files open. When a program opens a
file (automatically or user controlled) it puts the minimally needed
lock on that file. As long as the program is active (and does not close
the file) the lock is kept; the only way of releasing the lock is ending
the program. So it is really a design decision (which probably is
already made by someone else): do you want the performance benefits of
programs that stay active and accept the consequence that this puts
limitations on other jobs or don't you want limitations on other jobs
and accept the performance hit of opening and closing the files every
time the program is called. I'd probably take the second option, because
the performance hit is not very great (although it may have been in the
past). But if, as I suspect, the choice was already made, you'll have to
live with the consequences or talk to the person who made the choice.
Choices, choices, choices!

Joep Beckeringh

P.S.: If you respond to my mail, I shall not be reading it for the next
10 days. Happy holidays!