John Taylor wrote:
> I can't accept the fact that using GPL code within your project forces the
> entire project to be GPL. For those programmers contemplating doing so for
> some in house software, I wonder if the owners of the company understand the
> ramifications of that decision? If they do, I have difficulty believing that
> most of them would accept such terms.

I am not a lawyer, but...

As pointed out before, if you use GPL code in your project, it only
becomes an issue if you want to distribute the application.  For
strictly in-house use, it should not be an issue.

But to the present discussion, if you want to distribute a service
program, the more appropriate open source license is the LGPL, which
is like GPL, but does not force its terms on the code that calls the
service program.

On the other hand, these aren't the only alternatives.  You can
always define the licensing terms for your service program any way
you darn well please!  You could even be totally magnanimous and
declare your service program public domain, and anyone can do
whatever the heck they want with it.

Cheers!  Hans