This is V5R1 but maybe you can take this and make it work in V4R5:

<incomplete snip>
     D detailRec       s                   like(chgDtl) dim(100)
     D chars           c                    'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ+
     D                                      abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz+
     D                                      0123456789,./<>?+()+
     D                                      !@#$%^&*_+-=[]\{}|;'''':"'
     D setBack         s              5  0
     D offset          s              5  0
     D length          s              5  0
     D blankPos        s              5  0
     D tempBuffer      s           1024
      /free
              blankPos = %checkr(chars:%subst(tempBuffer:offset:length));
                if blankPos > 0;
                  length = blankPos;
                endif;

              %subst(detailRec(totrrn):setBack) =
                       %subst(tempBuffer:offset:length);
              offset = offset + length;
      /end-free
</snip>

What's going on is I'm checking a part of tempBuffer for the last blank.  I
set the length equal to that position.  Then, I set detailRec element equal
to that piece of tempBuffer.  I then go back and get the next piece of
tempBuffer.  chgDtl is defined in the display file and is 70 positions long.

Phil