From: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of rob@dekko.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 5:18 PM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: S/36-mode alt indexes

BLDFILE ROB1,S,RECORDS,10,100,,T,,,NDFILE
UPDDTA ROB1
DSPPFM ROB1
*...+....
123456A01
987654B02
123654C03
BLDFILE XOB1,S,RECORDS,10,100,,T,,,NDFILE
UPDDTA XOB1
DSPPFM XOB1
123456asdfasdfasdf
987654kdkfjdkidd
154878asdfasdf
STRSQL
SELECT SUBSTR(ROB1.F00001,1,6), SUBSTR(ROB1.F00001,7,1),
       SUBSTR(ROB1.F00001,8,50)
FROM ROB1 JOIN XOB1
          ON SUBSTR(ROB1.F00001,1,6)=SUBSTR(XOB1.F00001,1,6)
SUBSTR  SUBSTR  SUBSTR
123456    A     01
987654    B     02

But if you are wanting to create a permanent view, like a logical file -
you can't.
Message ID . . . . . . :   SQL7008       Severity . . . . . . . :   30
Message type . . . . . :   Diagnostic

Message . . . . :   ROB1 in QS36F not valid for operation.
Cause . . . . . :   The reason code is 7:
    -- Code 7 -- a based-on table used in creation of a view is not valid.

  Either the table is program described table or it is in a temporary
library.

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin