Carsten,   Thanks ever so for the examples.  They were just what the doctor
ordered......

I just shows how much I have to learn.

-------------------------
 Bryan Dietz
3X Corporation
614-410-9205

"Carsten Flensburg" <flensburg@novasol.dk>
Sent by: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com
04/24/2002 05:11 AM
Please respond to rpg400-l

        To:     <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: QtocRtvNetCnnDta

Hello Bryan,

You're right - the question is to allocate sufficient storage to handle
any
possible size of the return variable.

I normally use one of two techniques in this situation:

- If you're able to determine an absolute maximum of the return variable
and
it is within a reasonable size you could simply allocate (or define) the
return variable size using the maximum

- If it's not safe or applicable to use a maximum size you could call the
API twice - initially with an 8 byte parameter to obtain the actual length
available, allocate the storage requested and then call the api again with
the full return variable parameter.

I'll email you a couple of examples of the API in question privately.

Best regards,
Carsten Flensburg