Mike

Be sure you realize(you probably do)  that the DTAQ hitched to a Outq ONLY
gets entries if a spool file hits it (or is on it) and is in a RDY status.
If a spool file was overriddent to HLD while it is being written to the
Outq,  you won't see it in the Dtaq.  Make sure you know this paragraph in
the help.

-----------------
<SNIP>
 Each time a spooled file on the output queue reaches RDY status, an
 entry is sent to the data queue.  A spooled file can have several
 changes in status (for example, RDY to held (HLD) to release (RLS) to
 RDY again) before it is taken off the output queue.  These status
 changes result in entries in the data queue for a spooled file each time
 the spooled file goes to RDY status.
<SNIP>
------------------

You might see the same spool file in the Dtaq multiple times going from RDY
- HLD - RLS - RDY, etc.

I couldn't use the data queue thing for that reason in my automated
process.
I wanted to know every NEW entry that hit an OUTQ regardless of status.  I
had to do it another way.

Sorry not the answer to your question, but I wanted to be sure the premise
of what You Are Going to Be Doing is clear.

John Carr
-----------------------------------

I am going to probe the great minds on this list for some ideas....

I am looking at ways to make a program more dynamic. I have a program that
will monitor outqs for spool files through a dataq and kick off a
processing
program. The processing program then runs hard-coded processes based on the
spool file information. Several processes could be the same or similar, but
they could also be very different. So every time I need to add another
spool
file, I need to modify this program, recompile and test it. I would like to
try and make this program more dynamic to eliminate this need. Can this be
done either via RPG or Java?

What this processing program does is set up the information I need to
create
the file name and path from the job and spool file information in the dataq
for me to make different files that are either located on the IFS or an FTP
server. I would prefer a RPG solution but would also do this in Java.

Thanks for any help,

Mike