What is 5722ST1?
On my system it says it is DB2 Query Manager and SQL Development Kit for
AS/400.

And what does that NOT compose?  On machines without it I still have:
-RUNSQLSTM
-STRQMQRY
-Interactive SQL via Operations Navigator.
-Externally defined files.
-BLOBS, datalinks, etc
-Stored procedures
-User Defined Functions.
-etc.

So what does shelling out the money for 5722ST1 give me?
-STRSQL.  Very basic prompting.  Extremely limited as far as joins, etc.
Many commands are not supported for prompting, but can be typed in
manually.  I suspect that this won't have a lot of new features added to
it.  The latest rage is Op's Nav.
-STRQM.  Not a bad product.  Has more features than Query/400.  Just a
teensy bit less user friendly.  You actually could build your QMQRY's using
your favorite editor and the CRTQMQRY command which comes packaged with
SS1.
-The SQL precompiler.  An alternative would be using the SQL CLI's.  I've
done a little research into this, and I'd rather have a decent precompiler.

In summary, what are they doing with the money generated from the purchase
of 5722ST1?  Granted, shareholders and whatnot deserve a chunk, but some
should be going back into R&D.
- Are they enhancing STRSQL?  I don't think so.
- Are they enhancing STRQM?  Has anyone seen evidence of that?
- Are they improving the precompiler?  At least not for the last several
releases.
- Are they putting it into DB2 for the iSeries as a whole?
If it is the last, then shouldn't they just include the functions of
5722ST1 with the base operating system?

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin