Keeping with the Nitpicking theme:

From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com]

> No other language provides the integrated database access
> required to succinctly encapsulate the complicated database maneuvering
> required for advanced business applications.

Funny, I was writing a retail store application in dBase back in 1985ish.
dBase integrates database access even closer than RPG does.  Not that I'm
saying, by any means, that dBase is better than RPG, just that you're wrong,
Joe :)

> While you CAN do
> business applications in other languages, the integrated database
> instructions of RPG make it by far the best language for the task.

I believe you mean, "make it by far the best language for the task" ... *on
the iseries*.  That, I can agree with.

> Your statement that any language can do anything is one that has been
hashed
> out in these forums before, and I stand by my opinion that some tools are
> better than others.

That is true, if you add "some tools are better than others" ... *at certain
things*.

I would much quicker pick up RPG to write a retail store application, but
then again, if I was writing a program to display memory contents, I'd pick
up C or C++.  If I wanted to write a device driver I'd pick up Assembly.  If
I wanted to write a pretty small app on a PC I'd pick up VisualBasic.

All in all, I agree that RPG is the best business application programming
language *on the AS400/iseries*.

On a PC, I'd be hard pressed to name the best.  It would depend on what type
of business application I was writing.

Regards,

Jim Langston