>From: Frank.Kolmann@revlon.com
>Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:18:19 +1000
>

>I am using varying length fields to check if a string
>exists in some other field.
>I am having to set the length of the varying field
>before I do a MOVEL.
>I thought I was imagining things where the MOVEL
>itself was previously setting the length.
>I dont mind setting the length as it makes the code
>obvious as to what I am intending.
>
>D  C02NAMV        S             32    VARYING
>D  C02NAM         S             30
>
>C                   Eval      %len(C02NAMV)  = %len(%trim(C02NAM))
>C                   MOVEL     C02NAM        C02NAMV
>C                   Eval      pos = %scan(C02NAMV : S02NAM)

Frank, you can merge the first two statements to a single EVAL:

C                   Eval      C02NAMV = %trim(C02NAM)

And assuming you only need CO2NAMV for the %scan, you can do
the whole thing in one statement and skip even defining CO2NAMV.

C                   Eval      pos = %scan(%trim(C02NAM) : S02NAM)

By the way, your code has a bug if it's possible for CO2NAM to
have leading blanks, say ' abc '.  CO2NAMV would have its length
set to 3, and then the MOVEL would set it to ' ab'.

Barbara Morris