Joe Pluta wrote:

> It's really little wonder that bloatware has taken over the industry.  It
> seems that people have entirely forgotten that programming is about writing
> good, fast programs, with an eye toward maintainability, as opposed to
> writing good-looking, easy-to-read source code.
>
> Give an end user a choice between readable code and a 50% performance
> increase, and I can tell you what they'll take, every time.  It's our job to
> figure out how to make the code maintainable, and that's why they invented
> COMMENTS.  This idea of "self-commenting code" at the expense of performance
> and ease of writing is misguided at best, and self-defeating at worst, as
> the posts have shown.

First off, I agree with you.

MODE(*RANT)

More and more, I think the midrange area magazines speak less and less
to me because they are concerned, IMO, with using the latest and
greatest whatever gizmo with little concern for my business.  And yes, I
know that's at least partially why they exist.  I spend very little time
in the iseriesnetwork site anymore, cause there's little there I can use
and it takes too long to find what is valuable.  The use of web forums,
for example, instead of mailing lists.  There is absolutely no way that
any web forum can approach the productivity of a mailing list for the
end user, assuming that's important to them.  IMO, the reason for web
forums instead of mailing lists is advertising revenue, period.

The whole midrange community seems enamored with Linux and I _still_
don't understand why.  Don't get me wrong, I'm no Luddite.  I can't wait
to get V5R1 loaded and start using free format RPG 'cause I think it
will help my company.

See this article:

http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47-68-86-1721_STO68709,00.html

This article is what made me brave enough to post the above rant. <g>
An article that reminds everyone this is about _business_, not
computers.  The day the iseries type system (i.e. everything integrated)
disappears and I have to set up a system based on Linux/Unix where the
hardware, OS, database, security, communications, etc. have to all be
bought from different entities and forced to work together, by me, is
the day I look for another line of work.  And don't think I'm
exaggerating. <g>  I love working with computers to focus on business
goals.  I derive little or no satisfaction from wasting time just
getting the computer 'stuff' to just work together.  I look at that as
unproductive and unnecessary overhead.  The computer is here to serve
the business, not the other way around.

MODE(*RELAX)

Whew.  I hope the above was at least semi-coherent.

--
-Jeff

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily
the opinion of my company.  Unless I say so.