Thanks Barbara, must have missed my previous thread (entitled "Printing
arrays through externally described printer file") on this subject. At least
I am not done with the program yet! :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: bmorris@ca.ibm.com [mailto:bmorris@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 5:16 PM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Divide by zero monitoring

>From: "Wills, Mike N. (TC)" <MNWills@taylorcorp.com>
>Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:07:58 -0600
>
>They are in arrays... however since there is no easy way to print the
array
>contents to an externally described printer file, I am forced to have one
>line of logic for each field to print. I would not have bothered asking
the
>question if I had it in a loop.

Mike, code your externally-described printer file fields like this.  Just
list the names; don't code any type information.

D prtds          ds
D   prt1
D   prt2
D   ...
D   prt12
D   prtArray             like(prt1) overlay(prtds)
D                        dim(12)

Then you can use prtArray when you want to reference the
fields as an array.

Maybe it's not easy, but I think it's easier to list the 12
fields than it is to code the same logic 12 times.

Barbara Morris