I've kind of lost your original question.  There are a couple of
possibilities, having forgotten some information about this thread.
1)  CALLPRC a RPGLE subprocedure which calls the original subprocedure, but
returns the value via the parameters and not the PI itself.
2)  Try to avoid using CL.  But this is why I put the first couple of
sentences in this reply.

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

                    "Wills, Mike N.
                    (TC)"                   To:     "'rpg400-l@midrange.com'"
<rpg400-l@midrange.com>
                    <MNWills@taylorco       cc:
                    rp.com>                 Fax to:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     RE: Using
subproceedures in CL programs
                    rpg400-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    02/22/2002 09:22
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    rpg400-l

Would it be better to do a call to an RPG program that will return the
value?