Thanks, Martin.  That's as elegant a solution as I think I'll find, and adds
only one line.  The only time I might use the other, longer approach is when
I find I do want to implement an ITER, but in most cases, if the logic is
that involved, it will be moved to a separate subroutine anyway (no, I'm not
quite up to proceduralizing everything uet - this dinosaur moves slowly
<grin>).

Joe

P.S. At least I've gotten to the place, now, where I have two basic source
files in each project library: QMODSRC and QPGMSRC.  Through judicious use
of the H-spec, I can now do a mass compile by selecting option 15 for
QMODSRC, then option 14 for QPGMSRC.  I have a single binding directory for
that project library and it contains all the modules, while each RPGLE
program in QPGMSRC has an H-spec that points it to the appropriate binding
directory.  Baby steps, baby steps.