On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Andrew Borts wrote:

> From the web stuff I've been doing, I adopted the following standard;
>
> Named activation groups ALWAYS - never *NEW - according to the little
> chart made by IBM about performance & the HTTP server, named activation
> groups were 30% faster then *NEW activation groups.

You know, I hate it when people say things like this.  Please don't
make blanket statements like "Named activation groups ALWAYS - never
*NEW".

Like everything, the different ACTGRP() settings are effective when used
in the correct scenario.  Likewise, when used incorrectly, such as calling
a *NEW from a web server, something will suffer.  In other words, use
the right tool for the job.

IBM's web server has a number of jobs waiting for web requests.  These
jobs don't end, they just serve requests.  When they end up calling your
program over and over and over again, OF COURSE '*NEW' is going to be
slower.  Just like the name implies, it creates a NEW activation group
each time.   The named activation group only does so the first time.
Obviously, if it has to do something extra each time it runs, it's gonna
take longer.

However, when you're NOT calling your program over and over again
repeatedly, ACTGRP(*NEW) is much easier to manage than named actgrp's are.
You don't have to worry about keeping your activation group unique across
all of the software you buy/write/install.  You don't have to worry about
different programs in different actgrp's calling the same routines, and
getting the same copy when it's not appropriate to.   You don't have to
code the extra RCLACTGRP, or worry about a bug that might cause it to not
be reclaimed.

The key is, only use ACTGRP(*NEW) in a situation where you want the
activation group to be reclaimed as soon as it ends.

In the situation posed by Joe Pluta, where he wanted to have a "clean up"
routine that went through and closed out all of the programs running,
ACTGRP(*NEW) is ideal.   You just have the "main" program be ACTGRP(*NEW)
and all the sub-programs/service programs be ACTGRP(*CALLER).  Then it
automatically cleans itself up.