>From: Troy.C.Dills@blum.com
>Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:52:01 -0500
>I need help using  *date.  This is the way I'm using it now ( but doesn't
>work)
>
>  *FORMAT DATE TO YYYYMMDD FORMAT
> C                           Z-ADD     *DATE         PXHOLD            8 0
> C     *YMD          MOVE      PXHOLD     PXLMDT
>
>I need *date into an eight digit numeric field with no decimal places,
>then I want to take that field and put it in *ymd format.  ( I know this
>sounds out of whack)

Troy, if PXLMDT is a date field, you can initialize it to the
same value as *DATE like this:

D PXLMDT        s          D     inz(*job)

If you can't use initialization, set it like this:

C    eval   PXLMDT = %date(*DATE)
or
C    move   *DATE     PXLMDT

(Don't specify a format when moving *DATE or UDATE - the
compiler knows the format.)

If PXLMDT is another numeric field, try this, where
jobDate is a date-field temporary:

C       move  *DATE        jobDate
C  *ymd move  jobDate      PXLMDT

(Your code isn't working because PXHOLD is in some format
with a 4-digit year.  Your MOVE claims it's in *YMD format.
With MOVE, the format you specify is the format of the
character or numeric part; the compiler knows the format of
the date.  So if you have char/num in factor 2, factor 1
has the format you know the char/num is in.  If you have
char/num in the result, factor 1 has the format you want the
result in.)

Barbara Morris