Richard B. Baird wrote:

> I wanted to stay out of this holy war, but I just couldn't.  :)
>
> flamethrower(*on)

I don't know if your message was targeted at me, but I can pretend it is. :)

> Even if you don't want to write new programs using the cycle, (and you have
> EVERY right not too), if your job brings you anywhere near a legacy cycle
> program (and there are millions out there), then you'd better learn how the
> cycle works, and you'd better learn it fast.

I know the cycle.

> If you are my employee and couldn't handle maintaining or making major mods
> to a cycle program, I have no use for you.

I'm in the lucky situation that I can afford to say 'no thank you' tasks that
don't 'suit' me. I would never hire a programmer that admits still using the
cycle
for new programs... :)

> If you refuse to learn something that WILL help you when you need it, then
> I have no use for you, because you are too hard headed to work for me.

I haven't written a new report type program (with printer file) in 5 years.
Almost 100% of my new AS/400 programs are server programs serving VB client
programs.

A nice weekend to you too! Holy wars are great sometimes! :)