Hi Andrew,

The problem is in the code.  I'm surprised that it ever works, since there
are many problems with the way it was done.  I'll point them out, if
you're interested... then I'll give you a suggested replacement at
the bottom...

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Andrew Borts wrote:
> hdebug dftactgrp( *no ) bnddir( 'QC2LE' )

The inet_addr prototype is okay, but if you do it this way, you'll need
to manually null-terminate the string.   Unless you're stuck at an old
release of OS/400 (pre V4R2, I think) then I'd recommend saving yourself
some trouble, and using OPTIONS(*STRING) here:

> Dinet_addr        PR            10U 0 ExtProc('inet_addr')
> D  IPAddr                         *   Value

This ("gethostbyaddr")  prototype is wrong.   AddrLen and AddrType are
supposed to be full integers.  (i.e. they should be 10I 0, not 5I 0).

We can simplify the code greatly by changing the "HostEnt" parameter
(which is misnamed, IMHO) to be a 10U 0 passed by reference...  Of
course, that'll limit us to using this code for IP Addresses, but that's
all it works with now anyway...

> DGetHostByAddr    PR              *   ExtProc('gethostbyaddr')
> D  HostEnt                        *   Value
> D  AddrLen                       5I 0 Value
> D  AddrType                      5I 0 Value
>
> DSysInfDS        SDS
> D CurDevice             244    253
>
> DRcvVar           DS
> D  Protocol             859    859
> D  IPAddress            878    892
>
> DRcvLen           S              9B 0
> DFormat           S              8
> DDevice           S             10
> DIPAddr           S               *
> DHostEnt          S               *
> DHostAddr         S               *
> DAddrLen          S              5I 0
> DAddrType         S              5I 0
> DHostEntS         DS                  Based(HostEntP)
> D  HostNPtr                       *
>
> DHostName         S             64    Based(HostNameP)
>
> DHostAddrS        DS                  Based(HostAddrP)
> D  IP32Addr                     10U 0
>
> DAF_INET          S              5I 0 Inz(2)
> DSpaces           S             64    Inz(*Blanks)
>
> DAPIError         DS
> D  NbrBytes               1      4B 0 Inz(15)
> D  CPFID                  9     15
>  *****************************************************************
> C     *Entry        PList
> C                   Parm                    P#IPAddress      15
> C                   Parm                    P#IPName         64
>
>  * Get IP-name
> c                   Eval      IPAddress = P#IPAddress

This code makes no sense to me.  Why would we want to set "HostEntP" to
point to  the address of an uninitialized pointer?  Whomever wrote this
was obviously confused.
> C                   Eval      HostEntP  = %Addr(HostEnt)

This is the same problem.   It makes no sense whatsoever.
> C                   Eval      HostAddrP = %Addr(HostAddr)

Two flaws with the call to inet_addr, here.
    1) As written, IPAddress is not null-terminated.  We either need to
         increase the size of IPAddress to 16 bytes, and concatenate a
         x'00' ("null") character to the end, or we need to change the
         prototype for inet_addr to use options(*string)
    2) IP32Addr is presently in the same area of memory as HostAddr, which
         is a pointer.  After this runs, HostAddr will become an invalid
         pointer.  Luckily, IP32Addr is only 4 bytes long, where a pointer
         is 16 bytes, so we're not writing into unallocated memory, we're
         just randomly corrupting a pointer :)
> C                   Eval      IP32Addr  = inet_addr(%Addr(IPAddress))

AddrLen and Addrtype should be 10I 0.  Though, it wont matter for this
example, since neither "4" nor "2" will require more than 5 digits :)
> C                   Eval      AddrLen   = %Size(HostAddrS)
> C                   Eval      AddrType  = AF_INET

The prototype for GetHostByAddr is wrong, as I explained earlier.
And "HostEntP" was already set above, why are we setting it again?
(Except that the author was clearly confused above, and was setting
something that he didnt need to)
> C                   Eval      HostEntP  = GetHostByAddr(HostAddrP:
> C                                                       AddrLen:
> C                                                       AddrType)
> C     HostEntP      IfEq      *NULL
> C                   Eval      P#IPName  = Spaces
> C                   Else

Here we copy 64 bytes of memory starting at "HostNPtr".  However, how do
we know that HostNPtr contained 64 bytes of memory or more?  We only want
to copy up til the trailing null (x'00') character, not just whatever
happens to be in memory after that.   RPG makes it easy for us by
giving us the %str() BIF.  But, even without that, we'd want to scan for
x'00', and copy up to that point, not just whatever the next 64 bytes
would be.
> C                   Eval      HostNameP = HostNPtr
> C                   Eval      P#IPName  = HostName

This wouldn't be necessary if the above portion was coded correctly.
Furthermore, this won't always work -- beyond the trailing x'00', the
data is undefined.  We don't know what we'll get.  The original author
appears to have gotten x'00' in his tests, so he's replacing it with
spaces... but we can't rely on that always being the case!!

> C     X'00':X'40'   XLate     P#IPName      P#IPName
> C                   EndIf
> * Return parameters
> C                   Eval      P#IPAddress = IPAddress
> C                   SetOn                                        Lr
> C                   Return

So, having pointed out everything that I dont' like about that code, I'll
show you how I WOULD do it.  Note that my code is a lot simpler, and IMHO
is easier to read.

I tried to keep the same variable names where I could:

     hdebug dftactgrp( *no ) bnddir( 'QC2LE' )
     Dinet_addr        PR            10U 0 ExtProc('inet_addr')
     D  IPAddr                         *   Value options(*string)

     DGetHostByAddr    PR              *   ExtProc('gethostbyaddr')
     D  HostEnt                      10U 0
     D  AddrLen                      10I 0 Value
     D  AddrType                     10I 0 Value

     D HostEntP        S               *

     D hostent         DS                  Based(HostEntP)
     D   h_name                        *
     D   h_aliases                     *
     D   h_addrtype                   5I 0
     D   h_length                     5I 0
     D   h_addrlist                    *

     DIP32Addr         S             10U 0
     DAF_INET          C                   Const(2)

     C     *Entry        PList
     C                   Parm                    P#IPAddress      15
     C                   Parm                    P#IPName         64

      * convert IP to binary format:
     C                   Eval      IP32Addr  = inet_addr(P#IPAddress)

      * do reverse DNS lookup:
     C                   eval      HostEntP = gethostbyaddr(IP32Addr:
     c                                                     %size(IP32Addr):
     c                                                     AF_INET)

     C* set results:
     c                   if        HostEntP = *NULL
     c                   eval      P#IPName = *blanks
     c                   else
     c                   eval      P#IPName = %str(h_name)
     c                   endif

     C                   SetOn                                        Lr
     C                   Return