Forget trying to secure the tools.  Stick with securing the data.  They're
just too danged many tools out there.
I am sure that it uses the profile that signs even though it's odbc.  Many
of the server joblogs that I look at now say something like "servicing user
profile xxxx"
Test.  Create yourself a limited user profile and try the access that
others suggested.  However by fixing your physical file and using the
logical files may make your 5250 programs go casters up unless you start
farting around with adopting authority.

Rob Berendt

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    "Jim Franz"
                    <jfranz@triad.rr.       To:     <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
                    com>                    cc:
                    Sent by:                Fax to:
                    rpg400-l-admin@mi       Subject:     Re: Record level
security
                    drange.com

                    10/30/2001 03:47
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    rpg400-l

the logical view security may not cover your statement that
"their own IT staff that writes query tools to view the data".
I would suggest either you have some security control of the
query tools (i think ShowCase & others have security controls
based on data). You would need some exit programs to block
other access methods & verify access is thru the secured tool.
This could get fairly complicated. If your tools use sql to get data,
you could use UDF (user defined function)-never done it, but
supposed to cover this kind of security.
Your DDM/ODBC access - will you see the requesting server,
and use that in a exit program to determine auth?
If you controlled the app pgm using ddm, you could enforce this
at app level.
Would have to know lot's more about how many files, how many apps.
jim franz