On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 bmorris@ca.ibm.com wrote:

> >caller:
> >C         eval err = get_data(data_struct)
> >
> >then called does:
> >C         z-add          data            data_struct.field1
> >C         z-add          data            data_struct.field2
> >I don't know how to do this in RPG.  I'm at V4R1.  Any help?
>
> James, since you're pre-V5R1, you would code something like this:
>
> P get_data          b
> D get_data          pi
> D    ds_parm                  100

What is the '100' in the definition for?

> D ds                ds               based(pDs)
> D   field1                      5p 0
> D   field2                     10i 0

Can I use the LIKE keyword after the BASED keyword?

> c           eval     pDs = %addr(ds_parm)
> c           z-add    data        field1

I have defined a data structure that contains the fields that I want to
pass by reference.  Trouble is that my subprocedure acts on those fields
names as global variables and not as parms per se.

> It's better in V5R1.

If only...

James Rich
james@eaerich.com