Ted,

Check out the EDTDTAARA utility on the NEWS/400 site. It displays the data
in the data area and updates the data area with your changes. The data is
not formatted it is just one long string. This may be a good place to
start. It has a limitation of only displaying/changing up to 450 characters
but I modified it to display 1024 with little trouble.

Doug Cosgrove
Sr Programmer/Analyst
AAO-HNSF
E-mail: dcosgrove@entnet.org
Website: http://www.entnet.org

                    "Sims, Ken"

                    <KSIMS@SOUTHERNWI        To:     rpg400-l@midrange.com

                    NE.com>                  cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     RE: Using a Data Area
in CMD Statements
                    rpg400-l-admin@mi

                    drange.com

                    08/14/01 01:19 PM

                    Please respond to

                    rpg400-l

Hi Ted -

>More specifically, I want to know if I can retrieve
>information from a data area (at prompt time) to fill
>in defaults into a parameter.  Also, if the defaults
>on that parameter are changed, update the data area
>so that those values are available next time the command
>is executed.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with DTAARA(*YES).

As Mike said, you need a prompt override program to load the value at
prompting.  Your command processing program would need to save the last
value passed.

I think you would also need a default special value for when the command is
not prompted which would tell the command processing program to go out to
the data area to get the value to use (generally *SAME).  I thought I had a
command that used prompting where I could check this, but I couldn't find
one.  I think it was actually at a previous job.

You can find more about prompt override programs in the CL Programming
manual.  For V4R4 see:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/qb3auo02/9.6

Ken
Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada, Inc.
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.