  • Subject: Re: re. Access Groups and Threads
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <javadisciple@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 06:35:07 -0700

> I hear what you say but I have no idea how to ' just switch activation
groups
> based on need.'  How is this coded, how are the groups named, how do I
> do the switch.  The only way I can see is to have a driver program that
> calls specific CLLE programs compiled with named AGs that then
> call RPGILE pgms that are compile with *CALLER AG, but then
> this is not so flexible, ad I still need the overrides in the CLLE.
> With a system of hundreds if not thousands of files this can be
> a headache.

But you are exactly right.

Making use of AGs might be a big problem if you are a lone programmer among
many at your site. But if a package is planned with the use of AGs in mind
and goes forward from design that way, it becomes much more useful. The
controlling app would simply be calling, or brokering calls, among the
groups. When a specific AG needed to be opened, the manager for that group
would be called to do whatever set up was beneficial. This manage app would
then be used to call whatever *CALLER AG applications were to be run in that
group.

This is of course the reason everyone gets along so well using either
*caller for everything or specifying a single named group. That is what we
are used to forever. A single group.

When we were given the option of returning from called programs without
having them exit and unload, this meant we could save the overhead of
are the ability to do the same thing with an environment. But that is
trickier and maybe requires more thought to implement.

If it doesn't seem like something you can take advantage of right away,
don't worry. Just keep looking into it. It is one more tool in your belt and
one more solution if that problem should arise.