  • Subject: Re: Debugging a batch program
  • From: Martin Rowe <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 07:44:01 +0100

On Wednesday 23 May 2001 22:31, Wills, Mike N. (TC) wrote:
> How do I debug a batch program?
>
> I know you can use STRSRVJOB and then use STRDBG. So what I did was put
> the jobq on hold (test jobq so it is not a major thing to put on hold)
> so I could get the job number. Then used STRSRVJOB on the job, followed
> by STRDBG and was going to set a break point, but it wouldn't let me
> set one. Something about "cannot perform this function when job is not
> active". Am I doing something wrong? The job runs for about 20 seconds
> normally.
>
> Thanks for any help in advance.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike

Others have pointed out how to do this, but I've another take on it. We
have a number of routines where you can't capture the job before it's
submitted, so don't get to run STRSRVJOB before it has done its thing and
finished. I wrote a little program to send an inquiry messeage to the
user the job ran under - which then waits for a reply. You include a call
to the program (called 'WAIT4ME' ;-) ) at the start of the routine to
debug. The inquiry message includes the STRSRVJOB JOB(...) text filled in
for you to cut & paste to a command line. Once you've set up debug
(because the program is already active) just reply to message and you're
away. I'll post the code to the list (a few lines of CL) later on today.

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net / jamaro@firstlinux.net
http://www.dbg400.net  DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities