  • Subject: Re: Can I get the Day of the week?
  • From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:34:01 -0700

Hi Mike,

I believe it's fair to say that your formula does have a base date -- the
base is simply the year zero, or somewhere thereabouts. At least one of the
methods mentioned handles dates prior to the base date by checking for
negatives. IBM's date routines don't allow us to specify dates prior to
01/01/0001, but as someone mentioned, that's sufficient for most business
purposes. Museums trying to keep track of artifacts, or historians trying to
create a database with a timeline might want a much longer view. What's the
day of week for April 5, 1500BC?

Regards,
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.