  • Subject: Re: Fields from unused record formats
  • From: MWalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:07:44 -0400

Try the IGNORE keyword on the F Spec.

Mark Walter
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Hanover Wire Cloth a div of CCX, Inc.
mwalter@hanoverwire.com
http://www.hanoverwire.com
717.637.3795 Ext.3040

                    "Andy Leisk"

                    <ALeisk@banta.com        To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com

                    >                        cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Fields from unused
record formats
                    owner-rpg400-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    05/10/01 12:06 PM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG400-L

I'm a bit stumped by this and hope someone in this group can point me at a
way
to understand this.

Situation:

Given an externally described print file with multiple record formats.

for example:
FMTA
    FieldA1             Char    10
    FieldA2             Char    20
FMTB
   FieldA3             Char   15
FMTC
  FieldA1              Char   5
  FieldA2              Char   6
  FieldA3              Char   7

When I have an RPG/400 (RPG/III) program that uses this file and only uses
FMTA I get a clean compile and can use the program because although all
formats exist in the print file, only the fields from FMTA are brought into
the program.

But Now I have tried to convert ot RPG/IV and even though only FMTA is
written
to in the program, all formats of the external print file have the fields
brought into the program.  I am getting a compile error:

RNF6033   Length of externally-described field is not the same as a
 prior definition; specification is ignored.

So after all this here is my question:

Is there some way to tell the RPG/IV compiler to ignore those record
formats
of the print file which are not used?

Andy Leisk
Stratagem Inc., I.T. Consultant at Banta Corp.
(Rent-a-programmer and AS/400 computer janitor)
920-751-4434

david@midrange.com