  • Subject: memories of code sabotage--was RE: Because it's there... (Was: Printer Overflow and BIF's)
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 10:55:22 -0700

I think it's happened to most of us.  I almost worked on a program a few
weeks ago that was cloned from one I wrote a few years back that had been
modified from the original clone job recently to allow a new program end
condition.

The program, a screen program, had had a main loop with a select statement
that set a flag when it was time to end the loop and go home.  The person
who modified it two years after the cloning replaced the select with if
statments and added the new end program condition by burying a seton lr and
unconditional return in a subroutine referenced in one of the if statements.
The original flag was still there, but it just wasn't used for anything any
more.

Just when I was ready to start, the need for the modification I was to do
went away.  Some day I'm going to sneak in and repair the logic.  <g>