  • Subject: RE: Quick ILE question about service programs
  • From: "DeLong, Eric" <EDeLong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:04:31 -0500

Ok, here's my take.....

Module objects are bound directly into the program or service program. That
is, since a module contains executable code (more or less), you've
essentially done a /copy. You've made a bigger program because the
executable code has been bound directly into the compiled program object.

Service programs are bound by reference only. As each service program has
details about the public and private methods contained within it (binder
language), the compiler retrieves the address and interface details of the
exported procedure from the service program and binds that into the program
rather than the actual executable code. This keeps the program object
smaller since that executable code was not actually copied into the program
referencing the exported method. You're really just calling an external
proc, just like a dynamic call in RPG400. But because the address and
interface of the program/procedure is determined at compile time, you save a
heap of work involved in the dynamic call.......

That really didn't come out like I wanted it to. If this doesn't make any
sense, let me know and I'll try to do better.

hth,
Eric DeLong