  • Subject: Re: Display a Messsage
  • From: "Charlie Massoglia" <cmassoglia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:38:20 -0400

By default, the AS/400 defers the write of a screen until the screen is
read.  So when you issue the WRITE, the screen is not sent to the terminal.
When the next EXFMT is executed, the WRITE screen is sent, then the EXFMT
screen is sent wiping out the WRITE screen, and then the screen is READ
waiting for the operator to press a key.  This is done for performance
reasons.

Specify the keyword FRCDTA in the display file DDS on the record format
containing the "Please wait" message to indicate you do not want to defer
the write of the screen until a READ is issued.  You might also want to use
the LOCK keyword to lock the keyboard as well as the OVERLAY keyword.

Charles L.Massoglia, President
Massoglia Technical Consulting, Inc.
cmassoglia@voyager.net
In MI 517-676-9700 or in NC 919-363-9395