  • Subject: Odp: Re: Data mapping
  • From: Marcin Sagan <itbamsag@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:59:26 +0100

>>> "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@attglobal.net> 03/21 12:51  >>>
File 1 has a variable format string of data.  Sort of like a data queue.  It's
just a character string of varying length.  Within the string (like the first
few positions) is there a code that let's you know what the string identifier
or format is?

Exactly it is.

>>>Is this a CGI application where each an every variable can have different
>lengths or is it a fixed format?

No, this is EDI aplication. And fixed format of variable/message is given in
format file.

>>>Now when you talk about file 2, is it a list of from-to positions so you can
>walk down the character string of file 1 and parse out the data or is file 2
>an externally defined file that you can use in your program as a data
>structure and parse by a simple MOVE command or is it a list of keyword/value
>pairs to assist you in parsing?

No, we know the data separator "+" and with this we can tokenize string. File 2
contains description of each subsequent token. I will paste simplified format
of this file again:

Tag      Element     Type    ..   Destination File   Destination Field
HDR         1        Num     ..     LOGFILE             FLD1
HDR         2        Char    ..     LOGFILE             FLD2
SND         1        Num     ..     ORDERS              FLD1
SND         2        Num     ..     ORDERS              FLD2
.
.
SND         N        Date    ..     ORDERS              FLDN
ADD         1        Num     ..     DETAILS             FLD1
.
.
ADD         N        Char    ..     DETAILS             FLDN
EOD         1        Num     ..     LOGFILE             FLD3

The goal is to write data from message to files/fields specified in this file 2

Than You  James

                               !

                               !