  • Subject: Re: Converting to upper case
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:08:00 -0500

I know that we need to think "global" these days, but for those of us who work
in "isolated" environments, is this really necessary?  By isolated, I mean...
well, I'm not sure exactly what I intended to mean.  Our environment consists
of several AS/400s spread across the U.S., one in Canada, and one in England.
Our AS/400 "talks" to an IBM mainframe and a Unix-Oracle box.  To my (limited)
knowledge, all the code page stuff is done at the "door", that is, at FTP
time.  (We do not, for example, have any users in Japan [to use your example]
providing data that enters our AS/400.)  We have not had any issues related to
code page errors.  At what point do we need to consider them, in our
environment?

Also, the upper/lower translation API aside, how does the code page affect
constants used in programs?  Or select/omit constants in logical files?  Does
the following simplistic scenario present a problem?

Pgm A snippet:
     C                     MOVE 'A'       ODSTS
     C                     UPDATORDDTL

Pgm B snippet:
     C           KEY       CHAINORDDTL               99
     C           ODSTS     IFEQ 'A'

If Pgm A is compiled on a system with a different code page than the system
used to compile Pgm B, and the 'A' character has a different hexidecimal value
(is that the essence of code page problems?), is this a situation where we get
hosed?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company