  • Subject: RE: Activation Group for Service Programs (was DoW (WAS DoU...))
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:46:40 -0500

 >> 1. With the client program ended and after running RCLACTGRP
(*ELIGIBLE), the service program could be activated again, but when a
procedure in the service program was called, the job would terminate.

*ELIGIBLE is one of those 'features' that should only ever be used during
development to simplify the programmers life.  Never in production IMHO.
The results you saw are probably the result of the calling program being in
the default AG and when you did the reclaim because the named AG had no
active invocations it got blown away.  Why do the RCL?

 >> Since the only problem I see with running the service program in the
default
activation group is RCLRSC.... I'm going to stick with making the service
program *CALLER.  Dealing with RCLRSC is minor compared to the problems
running the service program in a named activation group with a client in
the default activation group.

I can only repeat what I said before - you're asking for trouble.  As to
RCLRSC - well RCLACTGRP is really just the ILE version.  You wouldn't have
had a problem if you hadn't done RCLACTGRP which there was no need to do in
the first place.  Just leave there all day.  If you absolutely have to
clean it up it you simply have to ensure that any programs in the default
that are hooked to it are also cleaned up.

david@midrange.com