If allowed to germinate, this thread could easily become a discussion of
"closed" versus "open" systems.

Considering the tenuous market position that the AS/400 is in, IBM will be
thinking about what to change to improve market share - something to compete
more effectively with Unix-like platforms that also avoids being squished by
the 390 people.

For the most part, languages don't sell computers and profits come from
sales.  However, a large range of languages support developer creativity and
application variety and those factors do sell systems.  Finally, although
those factors do sell systems, perhaps they will contribute to sales in the
core marketplace for the AS/400.

W-code is the interface to the optimizing code generator back end for IBM
compilers.  I believe that it is the only way to create an ILE program at
this time but it is not the only way to create a program on the AS/400.  I
think that the PRM is still there and you can feed it with MI.  Before you
think very hard about this, I will concede that you really want W-code but
MI is not completely useless for your purposes - you just have to do a lot
of run-time development work for yourself.

I believe that there is another issue with w-code - it is used all over the
IBM product line.  Therefore, if you get the interface information for
AS/400, you can also use the same compiler (if you port it) on other IBM
platforms.  If this very old recollection is true, that partly justifies the
cost for the interface information.

Richard Jackson
Richard Jackson and Associates Ltd.
IBM Business Partner