  • Subject: Odp: Re: Actual Record Number
  • From: Marcin Sagan <ITBAMSAG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:59:40 +0100

I thought rrn and key value is updated even if file is blocked but after Mike
reply I decide once again check it and I get confused.
In ILE RPG Ref. Version 3, Doc # SC09-2077-01 I have found:

"1.5.1.1.6 Blocking Considerations
<snip>
 However, if you are doing blocked input on a data base file, the
relative record number and the key value in the data base feedback section of
the INFDS
are updated:
*   On every input/output operation, if a POST for any file with factor 1 blank
has not
    been specified anywhere in your program.
*   Only after a POST for the file, if a POST for any file with factor 1 blank
has been
    specified anywhere in your program."

But I couldn't find this same statement in RPG Ref. SC09-1817-00
Is the behaviour of rrn and key file dependent on language?
Or was it different in previous releases? If yes from which rel. those fields
are accurate?

Regards
Marcin Sagan

>>> <Mike.Barton@ecsoft.co.uk> 11/15 1:25  >>>
>Could any one tell me how to get the Actual Record number for a record in a
data base
>file.
Ahmed
     Best way is to use the information DS against the file in question.
RRN will return the actual record number in the file. Please note that
this can sometimes not always be correct - specifically when the AS/400
decides to read the records in blocks or something like this.

Mike

EG:

FFile    IF  E           K        DISK         KINFDS INFDS
IINFDS       DS
I                                    B 397 4000RRN

                               !

                               !