  • Subject: RE: GOTO
  • From: Wynn Osborne <wynn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 00:34:47 -0500

I must admit to a slight turn-on in the fact that this topic is being
discussed. These type of brainy issues is what drew into programming to
start with.

FWIW, here's my 2 cents.

1:

GOTO, in the year 2000, is relevant only when talking history. All modern
programming languages (well...except assembler) remove the need to even
consider the use of it. It's still there, IMO, as a museum piece.

Old code? Well I've changed my position. I personally believe that,
with  RPG 2/3 programs, making modifications result in more readable code
when the style of existing code is followed.

If any of you all remember that D.H. Dial Accounting system???, then
hopefully you will agree that, although the author used the best language
features available for the time, the code is archaic. GOTO's, Level
indicators, weak routine names, etc., was the rule. However, the author was
amazingly consistent---Once one learned his style, you could be sure that
his methodology would be used in every program.

So, when making mods, I found that when the author's style was violated,
the code was "violated". Sure, my mods used superior construction
techniques, but the next guy behind me would have to pause to absorb my
techniques, while the archaic (seemingly) construction flowed like candy to
him.

Lesson: Unless the code is total linguini, use the existing construction
methods when making mods, even if GOTO's, LEAVE's, & ITER's, repeating
structures, etc., are employed.

Along this same line, I see no valid reason to convert RPG 3 code to RPG 4
if the RPG 3 code works. How could any such project be justified? If
programmers Peter, Paul, and Mary are used to working on program X, written
in RPG 3 (or RPG 2 for that matter), why would one introduce the potential
for future coding errors by converting program X to RPG 4? I see no logic
here, but that's me.

2:

GOTO is valid so long as its use does not violate the single-entry,
single-exit test. I am not advocating its use, I'm merely stating this to
feed my ego :-)

One poster mentioned that if any of his programmer's used a GOTO, he'd sit
him down and explain structured programming techniques to them. I was going
to be a smart butt and say, "If one of your programmer's had the propensity
to use a GOTO, then how did he get hired to start with?". But, I thought
again: Given today's event driven programming model (that is,
institutionalized spaghetti logic), what programmer out of college today
would know anything about structured programming anyway? Probably not many.

3:

I don't quite understand the hoopla over free-form code. One thing that RPG
has going for it is the ability to visually see all statement comments
lined up real pretty. One can, provided that standards are in place,
determine how a program works by reading the comments only (like a story).
With free form languages, your eye bobs back and forth trying to decipher
what is code and what is a comment---very tiring to the eye.

I believe RPG 4 offers the best of both worlds. We get some freedom to code
statements the way our brain works, while at the same time, we still have
the nicety of lining our comments up so the next dude can try to understand
what the heck I was doing.

Wynn