  • Subject: Re: Beginner needs help w/ decimal field to text field
  • From: jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:23:56 -0400

Jason

Even if you are using RPG/400 in your shop(??????)  Make this program RPGIV
!@
It will work just fine in an RPG/400 shop being the only RPGIV program.

You can even write the tab delimited file out using RPGIV.  I will be doing
a session Monday at COMMON on exactly this topic.

Use the %Editc(num:'J')  BIF.

Write it in RPGIV.   If you want you could email me directly and I will
send you a skeleton program to write the PC file out.

John Carr

I have a decimal field... 9 digits, 2 decimals.  I need to move it into a
character field of 14 characters, complete with negative sign and decimal.
I need it to be left justified and padded with blanks.  Examples:

9.32 (00000000932)   should become   '9.32          '
-456.34 should become '-456.34       '

I saw a discussion about this recently, but the solutions given were to use
the edit code functions available in ILE and I am using RPG/400.

I'm pulling data from a database (externally described) and trying to
create a tab delimited ASCII file out of it for one of our clients.  After
I have managed to obtain this value, I will be concatenating a horizontal
tab to the end of it (hence I need 14 characters - an extra one for the tab
in case the number happens to be 11 digits, and negative, occupying 13
characters).  I will then be concatentating this 14 character string to the
rest of a string I've already built up, which will then finally be written
as a line in a text file.

(this is something that will be created often, *ideally* not by me, so
using PC tools to make the resulting file tab delimited is not an option)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason Waugh
Systems Development