  • Subject: Re: External File Descriptions
  • From: "Jim Franz" <jfranz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 10:05:53 -0400

Title: RE: INFDS
If you have a few files to do quickly, create the DDS with name same as s36 flat file, rename s36 file to something else, compile DDS, then cpyf with *nochk optio to put data back. As long as DDS kept all the positions/attributes the same, the s36 pgms newver know the difference. Any future native pgms, qry, sql will be fine, unless you have decimal data errors in fields (bad 36 code not intializing numeric fields, etc). There are several S36 to native conversion tools available (check Search400.com) I have used several, and if you have good F & I specs, either in seperate source, or in RPG pgms, the DDS creation can be fairly automatic (like in hours, not months (but I have not met a s36 system that didn't have some "exceptions")). I have had several s36 to 400 conversions that went to native files first, then pgms over the years. BTW there might be a way in a LF to substring the K000001 and F000001 fields in the flat file, but don't know what that would do with sql & qry & decimal data problems. Besides, that's just as much work as creating real DDS. If you need more details/experiences, send me an email. jim franz