  • Subject: Re: Progress bars (WAS: performance loading a subfile)
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:04:36 -0700

Mike,

What are you using as a telnet client?

Mochasoft and PSI will render the colors properly, but Netwolf does not.

BTW, the site is hosted by John Ross.

As to how it's done, the progress bar program is a standalone program
called by the program doing the processing.

At program initialization time, the number of records in the file to be
processed is divided by 100 to get the xx% increment and the progress
bar program is called to establish start time, within the mainline code
each record is counted and compared to the increment value.  Once the
increment value is reached, the progress bar program is called again and
the xx% completed, current entry number, elapsed time and estimated
remaining time is redisplayed.  At LR the progress bar program is called
again with a shutdown flag.

The estimated completion time does -not- work if you are using OPNQRYF
with record selection.  The file feedback data structure will give the
total number of records on file, not the records selected.

J. Kilgore