Hi Frank,

Your window starts at line 4 with 18 lines so it will cover line 4 to line
23 (including the top and bottom borders).  Your function key and message
lines (which are not part of the window) are on lines 21 to 22 so they are
covered.

Here is my solution:

On subfile control screen, instead of using window definition, use the
window reference.... and define the window on your function key and message
lines record....

 * screen 1 subfile control (WINCDEC1)
WINDOW(WINCDEB1)

 * function key and message lines (WINCDEB1)
A                                                            WINDOW(4 16 18
50)
WDWBORDER(*COLOR BLU) (*DSPATR HI RI) (*CHAR ' ')
A                                                            RMVWDW
A                B01FKEY       49   O    16   2COLOR(BLU)
A                B01MSGLN    49   O    17   2COLOR(WHT)