So Brad, tell us what you really think!

"*all" depends on why you are creating the service program.

Case 1: many application programs will use one or more routines in a service
program.

Case 2: a few application programs were modularized and use a service
program.

In case 2, *all is fine.  If case 2 is a product, when you ship a new
program set, there is no pain associated with sending new service programs
either.  If case 2 isn't a product.  If you change the service program, you
can recompile the program set and it only takes extra compile time.

In case 1, *all is probably a bad idea.  If you are shipping programs as
part of a product then *all is a very bad idea.  When you compile a program
that uses a service program, the compiler stores a signature for the service
program in to the compiled object.  Very much in the style of storing
database format levels into a program.  If you change ANYTHING in the
service program, the service program acquires a new program signature.  The
new signature won't match to the one stored in the compiled programs so you
have to recompile all the application programs that uses the service
program.  In other words, you can't ship a new service program without also
shipping everything else with it.  This is highly annoying if one of your
customers modified one of your programs.

Brad, if your advise is followed, the inside of the service program is
controllable without forcing a recompile.  That is why it is a good idea -
the service program becomes a "black box" and that is very good for
maintenance.

disagreements?  blaze away :)

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net