  • Subject: Re: VARYING & Debug bug
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:17:43 -0600

John,

What did you get when you ran eval field = x'0000'?  In my experience it always
set the
length to zero, clearing the field.  Using eval fie = ' ', I would have
expected the
field to contain x'000040' followed by an undefined information, or x'4000...'
which, based
on your experience, is the most probable.

David Morris

>>> jpcarr@TREDEGAR.COM 07/24/00 01:40PM >>>

David

No,  I don't think so.   The FIELD in question is a 100 byte alpha
standalone field with the VARYING keyword.
I want to blank it out.     In RPGIV    I could say   CLEAR       FIELD  or
I could say  RESET     FIELD both of which
would change the %SIZE back to zero, (%LEN would still be 2).

How do you do a CLEAR   FIELD   of a VARYING field in debug??

John

                    "David

                    Morris"              To:     <RPG400-L@midrange.com>,

                    <dmorris@plum        <jpcarr@TREDEGAR.COM>

                    creek.com>           cc:

                    07/24/2000

                    03:09 PM

John,

eval field = x'0000' should work.

David Morris

>>> jpcarr@TREDEGAR.COM 07/23/00 05:43PM >>>

I think I found a bug in the debugger when using the VARYING dspec keyword.
I was in Debug and said,   EVAL  FIELDX = ' '  wanting to clear the field,
then I got a " Length of varying length variable is out of range."  see
below for message text.

How do you clear a VARYING field in debug (ie in a way that will reset the
2byte binary number back to zero) ??