  • Subject: Re: Question regarding SDA WINDOWS clearing the screen when displayed ...
  • From: "Gary Monnier" <GaryMon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:47:11 -0700

You will need to KEEP keyword to retain your previous display.  This keyword
needs to be in the executing display file.  You may want to use the ASSUME
keyword as well.  Here's the V4R4 DDS manual description for ASSUME.

3.14 ASSUME (Assume) Keyword

Use this record-level keyword to specify that the OS/400 program is to
assume that this record is already
shown on the display when this file is opened. Such a record would also be
defined, with the KEEP keyword,
in another display file. That other display file would be closed before this
file (in which you are specifying
ASSUME) is opened.

This keyword has no parameters.

Specify the ASSUME keyword for at least one record format within the display
file so that the OS/400 program
does not erase the display when the file is opened. In addition, specify the
OVERLAY keyword with the
ASSUME keyword to prevent the OS/400 program from deleting the display when
your program sends the first
output operation after opening the file.

If you use the ASSUME keyword, at least one field in the record must be able
to be displayed. If more than one
record with the ASSUME keyword exists, they must occupy unique display
lines.

For the OS/400 program to process the data correctly, your program must
specify the record format name
containing this keyword.

The ASSUME keyword is not needed if the record format you are defining is in
a shared file (SHARE(*YES))
parameter specified on the Create Display File (CRTDSPF), Change Display
File (CHGDSPF), or Override with
Display File (OVRDSPF) command).

This keyword cannot be specified with any of the following keywords:

¦ ALWROL                             ¦ SLNO                              ¦
¦ CLRL                               ¦ USRDFN                            ¦
¦ SFL                                ¦ USRDSPMGT                         ¦

A warning message is issued at file creation time if the ASSUME keyword is
specified on a record with the
DSPMOD keyword. At run time, the ASSUME keyword is ignored when the display
mode changes.

A file with the ASSUME keyword will be opened to the display size of the
file with the KEEP keyword.

Option indicators are not valid for this keyword.