  • Subject: Re: BLOB's on AS/400?
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 11:18:03 -0600

John,

I know I have accessed a CLOB using RPGIV, it could be that I used embedded
SQL, I will
have to check when I get home.  What is the error you get and out of curiosity
why do you
need native support?

David Morris

>>> jpcarr@TREDEGAR.COM 05/02/00 09:39AM >>>

Jim

I would look into Data Links instead of Blobs.   Data Links would allow you to
store the documents in the IFS as a native .DOC, .ETC  whatever the format is.
It would "Link" the directory path(URL,  ie  /MYDIRECTORY/MYDOC.DOC)
in the IFS and associate that document with a field in a data base record.  For
example,
if you did this,  you could not delete the document without deleting the DB2/400
record that contained that URL first.

The downside with Blobs, Clobs, DClobs, Data Links, etc is that you won't
be able to see them in RPG or even use that file or it's logical's in RPG.

As a side question,   How many would like it if Rochester changed the Data
Link function so that we would see the URL field as just a Character type field
in RPG?

Something like we were able to do in RPGIII with DATE/TIME/TIMESTAMP data
types?

I think if we lean on Rochester they would do that for us. They just don't know
we need it.

John Carr

I'm sure it's been asked and answered, but here goes...

Part of our e-commerce strategy may be to 'store' the document created by
the user as a BLOB.  I'm not finding any documentation on if/when/how the
AS/400 will support this.

Anybody have the answer?

Thanks,
JN