  • Subject: Re: Buying Code/400 when you have no AS/400 (was Smallsubroutines)
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:13:16 -0600

Jon,

I recently needed to buy another copy.  You might mention to your IBM contact
that
the buy link from the ADTS web page does not lead to a screen where you can
actually
buy the product.  At least that is what I found.  I then tried going through
the Partners
in Development purchase web site.  They have every VisualAge product except
Code/400.
I know it does come up on the system configuration.  I brought this up during a
"Were
you satisfied with your IBM purchase" follow-up call, I don't think it went
anywhere.

David Morris

>>> Jon.Paris@hal.it 04/20/00 07:55AM >>>

 >> because I was under the impression that it is licensed to the server.

It's not that it is licensed to the server (I think it was back in the OS/2
days) just that as an AS/400 software product it always required that you order
it against an AS/400 serial number.  The effect (to you) is the same but it is
just a function of IBM's silly internal structure.  If they designate it as a PC
product, it is not available for order with an AS/400, so they designate it as
an AS/400 product.

There's hope for the future - someone found a way to sell Domino both directly
and as an AS/400 product - hopefully they'll do that with future releases of
Code/VARPG.

In the meantime, they have managed to make arrangements to have a Business
Partner sell licenses of the product to folks (like consultants) who may not
have a system.

I can't find the reference to the name of the BP and I don't see it on the web
site so I'm copying this note to the gentleman at IBM who set that deal up to
ask him to let me have the name and contact information to post here for those
who need it.