  • Subject: Re: Internally defined by key value?
  • From: dbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:49:31 -0400

Hi Jim,

I hope I understand you correctly...When using Multi-format Files, you have a
keyword you can use on the F specification that is "INCLUDE". The INCLUDE
keyword will only include the specified record format. By using this keyword,
you can define the file as Externally Described instead of Internally Described
and include the format you wish to work with (and make sure you include the "K"
for keyed).

There is also a keyword to exclude formats, which is "IGNORE", but if you have
many mulit-formats within your file (you would have to Ignore each Format not
wanted), the INCLUDE would be better.

f FILENAME     UF  E                                 K DISK    INCLUDE(FORMAT1)

P.S. Get rid of those "I" specs.

Darlene Bryant

|--------+---------------------------->
|        |          Jim Langston      |
|        |          <jlangston@conexfr|
|        |          eight.com>        |
|        |                            |
|        |          04/18/2000 01:05  |
|        |          PM                |
|        |          Please respond to |
|        |          RPG400-L          |
|        |                            |
|--------+---------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     "RPG400-L@midrange.com"                  |
  |       <RPG400-L@midrange.com>                          |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Darlene H Bryant/Banpharm)         |
  |       Subject:     Internally defined by key value?    |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

I have a duel format physical file I need to open, and so am opening
it as UP    F  (Update Primare, File Described).  In the I specs I am
declaring one variable for the buffer.  In the D specs I am using ExtName
for my file layouts, and basing that on my file.  All is fine and dandy.

But... when I normally open files I also specify they be opened by Key,
by specifiing the K.  I know that if I don't specify the K then the records
will come in arrival sequence.  RPG won't let me specify K in a File
described file.

So, what do I do?  How do I get key sequence by a file described file?

Regards,

Jim Langston