  • Subject: Re: Convert Alpha to Numeric
  • From: "End of the Trail" <endofthetrail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 21:52:40 -0500

A method that I use is:

               * Check for a negitive sign
0221.29 C                   If        %scan('-':%trim($20Alp)+' ')>0
0221.30 C                   Z-add     -1             Alp_Sign         1 0
0221.31 C     '-':' '       Xlate     $20Alp        $20Alp
0221.32 C                   Else
0221.33 C                   Z-add     1             Alp_sign
0221.34 C                   endif

               * Right justify and Pad with zeros
0221.36 C                   if          21-%scan(' ':%trim($20Alp)+' ')>0
0221.37 C                   Eval      $20Alp
=%subst('00000000000000000000':1:
0221.38 C                               21-%scan(' ':%trim($20Alp)+' ')) +
0221.39 C                                %subst(%trim($20Alp)+' ':1:
0221.40 C                                %scan(' ':%trim($20Alp)+' '))
0221.41 C                   endif

                *move into a numeric 10,0 field
0221.48 C                   Move      $20Alp    @10$0#

                *Multiply by sign field into a numeric 10,3 field
0221.56 C                   Eval      @10$3# = @10$3# * Alp_sign

I don't like taking a 20 digit field to a 10 digit field.  You also stated
that these were whole numbers, thus I did not allow for the decimal point.

Eurrat

P.S.   Notice that I did not reopen the request made while back about a
%Value function in honor of Mr. Boldt.