  • Subject: Re: RPG Indicators
  • From: István Rudas <Istvan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 17:45:17 +0200

At 08:13 08.4.2000 +0800, NGUI FONG LON wrote:
>I need advice in RPG/400 here urgently. I need to use an indicator to
>control the DSPATR keyword in a RPG program. However, in this particular
>program, all the indicators (from 1 to 99) have been used up. What can I do
>about this?

Hi Fong Lon,

the use of 99 indicators is not modern, we should avoid indicators at all,
but this would not help you quick, even it is true (=for the next time).

Instead of an indicator you could also do:

pass your attribute to the DSPF as variable:
*note: extracted from an article by Christian Rehn, www.common.at/info.html

DDS:
A               FIELDX  10A             DSPATR(&ATTR)
A               ATTR            1A      P

CLP:
        CHGVAR   &ATTR   X'21'
        SNDRCVF

other Programming language:
C       MOVE  X'21'     ATTR     1      (alpha)
C       EXFMT dsprecordformatname

(the hex attributes you need for DSPATR should be in your DDS manual)

I add to Christians sample: don't forget that in this case you/your program
is responsible for ATTR (=you have to fill it always with a valid hex value
or you recieve a hard I/O-Error).

The answer of Jon Erickson, that someone uses a 99-element array (by MOVEA
*IN) is also in my opinion a hazard to be managed and maintained. It also
doubles the problem, that "N47" or "78" does not mean anything to the next
programmer.
:-(   or ask Toronto for coloured indicator arrays....

Hope it helps
István
(Anton, isn't this a 0,02 EURO?)      =:-)!