  • Subject: Re: tcp/ip or telephone?
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:32:27 -0800

Well, if you already have the internet connected to your office,  FTPing the
file
over the internet isn't going to cost you anything.  Absolutely nothing more
than you are paying now for your internet.  Every OS that I know of has a
FTP client which you could use to send the file.  Windows 95, 98, 2000,
NT, OS/400, Linux, Mac.

Lets take the AS/400, for example, all you would do is type on the command
line: FTP 'someurl'
where 'someurl' would be the IP address or DNS name of the machine you are
supposed to be FTPing to.  Like:
FTP 'ftp.microsoft.com'
FTP '192.168.1.1'

Then log in with your username and password (they would be given you by the
company you are FTPing to) and do a PUT of the file you want to send.

If you do _NOT_ already have internet in your office, then it will cost you a
bit.
Network card to whatever computer you are going to be FTPing from, some
form of internet connection (ranging from PPP dial-up to T1, cost ranging from
$20/month to a few thousand a month).  And someone to set it all up (I set it
all up here in my office, but I know quite a bit about TCP/IP).

Then, you have the option of PPP dial-up.  For PPP dial-up, you need a modem
and phone line and a set up computer.  Depending on what computer you want
to do this from, it could cost you as little as a phone line (if the PC already
has
a modem installed, most new ones do) or as much as a modem and communications
card and phone line (for the AS/400 if you don't have any free communication
ports free).

IMO, the cheapest is always going to be the internet connection, just because
you
are going to need/want the internet anyway.  Once you have the internet set up,
you don't have to re-set up anything.  Just learn how to use all the bells and
whistles
that comes with it.

Regards,

Jim Langston