  • Subject: Re: Are indicators evil creatures or victims of poor shop standards?
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 12:03:01 -0800

Buck,

I agree that indicators are not -evil-, just a pain.

Since we must us indicators for such things as position cursor for a display
file, they live on.

We have strong shop standards and have not found indicators to be a particular
problem.  Our standard is that a given indicator has a particular meaning or a
set of rules.  The only reason it works is through enforced uniformity.

Here's a small example: Every file in the application has a 'get record' routine
that does a CHAIN.  Since we have to support V3R2 RPGIII, this routine is in a
/COPY member.  Every, and I mean every, incarnation of this routine uses *IN90
as
the resulting indicator.

These routines then uses *IN90 to set flags (variables) that are used within the
mainline code.  The rule for *IN90 is that it's use never goes beyond the
immediate purpose, flags are set instead.

You're right, without a plan, indicators are a mess.