  • Subject: RE: Multi-format Logicals
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:51:09 -0500

Curt/Rob,

The limit is actually on the number of physical file members scoped by a logical
file's member, although I suspect it's also trapped if you have more than 32
PFILE statements in your DDS (I've never tried it).  The number is 32.  This is
true for multi-format logicals, join logicals, and logicals scoped over
multi-member physicals.  There used to be a manual, DB2 for AS/400 Database
Programming, but that manual on the softcopy now refers all questions to the
InfoCenter thing.  InfoCenter seems to have HTML and PDF versions of the manual
- maybe they didn't destroy this one so badly after all.

The only two things I know to do when the limit is too restrictive are:

1) Consolidate some of the physical members in some manner, temporarily or
permanently.

2) Resign yourself to having more than one logical and handling it
programmatically.  Do I hear Primary/Secondary files with matching record
processing? <grin>

Dave Shaw
Spartan International, Inc.
Spartanburg, SC