  • Subject: RE: Web server performance
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:29:45 -0600

Anton,

That's a good idea, and may speed things up. Only problem is that it is
frames.  Fastly fading...

As far as more reusable, not really depending on the application.  Right
now, if I only display something that doesn't require reading from standard
input or environment variables, I use SSI.  So, I create an HTML page, and
where my CGI needs to be, I use an SSI script to run a CGI program.  This
.html file is usually built from a template that uses SSI to include html
that is on every page (like a menu, news, etc).  So, I only have to update
one file to change the menu on every page.  similar to shared borders when
using MSFrontpage, but much easier to use if you ever stop using FP.

On all other pages where I can't use SSI, I call the same procedures in the
beginning and end that write out html/javascript/etc... from the same file
in the IFS.  So I have something like top.html, bottom.html and my program
looks like..

Write top.html
do CGI stuff
Write bottom.html

Writing the HTML to the screen usually isnt what's slow unless you're doing
a lot of processing in the CGI program.  So, programming style comes to play
as well.

Bradley V. Stone
BVS/Tools - www.bvstools.com
Netshare400 - www.netshare400.com